Wednesday 16 May 2012

Elephants and Dancing in Kuala Lumpur


Elephants & Dancing in Kuala Lumpur

I’m in Kuala Lumpur. I was invited here to teach and perform by an awesome lady called Nanci Traynor who teaches Tribal Belly Dance and yoga.
I taught 3 workshops on Sunday at KLPAC the theme I used for my workshops 
was Movie Sirens of the Silent film era.
Nanci performs every Wednesday at Palate Palette so I have been joining her to perform while I am here and last night I went to her Yoga and Tribal Belly Dance classes. She taught an awesome Samba piece
as well which was loads of fun.
Dancing again tonight with some Iranian DJ’s then this Saturday we are putting on a show upstairs at Palette Palais followed by a dub-step  DJ and a party.

On Sunday, I will be hung-over no doubt, but I will also be travelling out to visit the Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary. For those of you who don’t know… I am a little crazy about elephants... that is an understatement... there probably isn't a word for how much I love efalumps... put it this way, If given the choice between saving the human race or elephants, I am not ashamed to say that elephants would win every time!  
(but then I am someone who, several years ago, posted ‘I am renouncing my species’ as my myspace status, haha

I contacted the sanctuary’s main supporter who goes by the name of ‘the elephant man’ and he gave me a list of supplies that are needed there.
Then before I left for KL, I ran an event called Ele-Dance Hafla to raise money for the orphaned elephants at Kuala Gandah. We raised a very small amount but nearly enough to help fund some of the much needed item donations that are needed however my support for the Sanctuary is ongoing so you
So this is where I ask you to help me to help them to continue there amazing work to preserve and protect this awesome species.
I have created 3 pages on my website, with info about the sanctuary and
you can read all about Selandang and Sanum, two of the ickle elephants who were rescued and taken in by the sanctuary.
Please have a look at the ele-pages on my website and donate as little or as much as you can! The hard work of the team at KG simply cannot continue without our support!



Some of the ele-dance links don’t appear to be be working properly but this I cannot fix until I am back in UK. Please be patient, links will be fixed when I get back to UK at the end of May.

Have a look at this super cute video of  Selandang (Miss Tripod) Selandang (Miss Tripod) very pleased and walking with her new prosthetic leg :) 



3 comments:

  1. I'm really happy that you were able to meet Nanci Traynor. I've also heard of her and her beautiful Tribal Dancing performances that's been praised by millions of youtubers by now. Dancing is a movement empowered by passion, Nanci knows this, and for you to be summoned by her is something worth telling a story of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lily :) Nanci is awesome, it's been a really good experience and I am definitely coming back here ... although Nanci will be in Europe but she has given me many contacts here so I will be able to come back and dance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog! Tribal Dancing performances are one of the most amazing types of dancing and I think they are majorly underrated.
    Check out our mini bus range on our new website! http://www.derbyminibuses.co.uk/en/

    ReplyDelete